Throughout their K-8 years, we will cultivate readers and writers through the balanced literacy approach. Every child will have access to a rich classroom library and be matched with books that meet their interest and ability. Students will read short stories, poetry, novels, classic works of literature and contemporary writers. Writing projects will range from non-fiction to realistic and historical fiction, and will include feature articles, comic books, interviews, persuasive essays and literary analysis and criticism.
Reading Comprehension Videos with Stephanie Parsons
A former staff developer with the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project, Stephanie Parsons is now a literacy consultant working with elementary schools in New York City and across the country. Stephanie has written three books on primary writing and is currently at work on a book about primary reading units of study.
Below are selections from a presentation she gave to BSI parents about reading comprehension.
- Introduction to Reading Comprehension (will be linked soon)
- How Levels Work (will be linked soon)
- Decoding versus Comprehension (will be linked soon)
- Building a Strong Foundation (will be linked soon)
- Ways to help K, L, M readers (will be linked soon)
- Talking with Kids About Books (will be linked soon)
Writer’s Notebooks (10/2014)