The Five Step Admissions Process
Kindergarten If you are interested in enrolling your child in any New York City Gifted and Talented Kindergarten class, you must begin the admissions process below in the fall of the calendar year in which your child turns four years old. In other words, children born on ANY date in 2011 will begin Kindergarten in the fall of 2016, so they must begin the admissions process in the fall of 2015.
- Children born in 2010 – the DOE will NOT place children born in 2010 into a G&T Kindergarten class; those children must apply to first grade for fall 2016. The tests used for Kindergarten and 1st grade G&T admissions are normed (scored/compared) according to age and not grade.
Grades 1, 2 or 3 If you are interested in applying to grades 1, 2 or 3, you must begin the admissions process below in the fall of your child’s Kindergarten, 1st or 2nd grade school year.
STEP 1: You File the Request for Testing Form by Friday, November 6, 2015.
Again, all Request for Testing Forms must be submitted by Friday, November 6, 2015!
STEP 2: Your Child is Tested
After you have submitted your Request for Testing form, the DOE will arrange a time for your child to be tested. Testing usually takes 1 to 1-1/2 hours. (Any problems with the tester or the test site must be reported to the DOE within 48 hours after your child takes the test. Do not wait until the scores are reported!)
- If your child is currently enrolled in a non-DOE school in grades Pre-K – 2, in a DOE Pre-K, or does not attend school, testing will take place on a weekend day in January, 2016 at a designated school site. The DOE will contact you with the exact time and place.
- If your child currently attends a DOE school in grades Kindergarten – 2, he or she will be tested at his or her school during the regular school day between January 4 – January 29, 2016.
STEP 3: You are Notified of the Test Score
STEP 4: You Rank Your School Choices
- If your child achieved a total score in the 90th percentile or higher, then your child is eligible to apply to District G&T programs.
- If your child achieves a total percentile score in the 97th percentile or higher, then your child is eligible to apply for District G&T programs as well as all the citywide G&T schools, including BSI, if you wish.
- BSI will hold several Open House sessions in the spring, directly following the release of student test scores. Our administration highly recommends that you attend one of these events before ranking our school on your application. Please go to our Visiting Grades K-3 page to find out about visiting our school in the spring.
You will rank your choices on the application in order of your preference. The DOE encourages families only to apply to schools to which they would be willing to attend. Placement will be determined by the DOE based on a lottery within each percentile, after eligible siblings are placed. There is no guarantee of a G&T placement, even if you rank all of the available choices on your application. All applications must be submitted to the DOE following the instructions they provide. Do NOT send the application to our school.
All applications must be submitted to the DOE by the Friday, April 22, 2016 deadline.